|I don't need to change to Winter Tires if I drive on all-season tires.|
Depending on winter weather conditions in your area, Winter Tires can improve the driving experience.
- Winter Tires are recommended for areas where the temperature is 45 degrees and below the majority of the time.
- The difference between a winter tire and an all-season tire is the tread design and the rubber compound.
- When the air gets colder, the rubber on an all-season tire loses its flexibility and decreases tire traction.
- A Winter Tire provides the added peace of mind that comes from better grip and vehicle control.
It's okay to put on only two Winter Tires instead of four, if they are installed on the drive wheels.
Winter Tires should be mounted at all four corners.
- A good analogy is shoes: If you wear a hiking boot on one foot and a summer sandal on the other, equal traction in snow or slush is not possible. So, be safe and put four Winter Tires on the vehicle.
|Winter Tires are a lot more expensive than all-season tires.|
Winter Tires are about the same price as all-season tires but, in effect, will save you money in the long run since you are not using your all-season tires all year round.
Doesn't ABS and traction control eliminate the need for Winter Tires?
ABS and traction control help control the vehicle, but?
- ABS will help you keep from locking up the brakes, but you will decrease the braking distance if you have Winter Tires. It also will not optimize lateral traction to help you turn.
- Traction control is like AWD, it gets you going, but does not help with stopping or turning.
Why do I need to think about purchasing Winter Tires so early?
Tire manufacturers produce a limited amount of Winter Tires per year. Selection and availability is better earlier in the season.
Not only do we provide tires, but Porsche of Norwell is a one-stop shop for all your automotive service needs! If you have any questions about our tire products or services, please contact the Porsche of Norwell Tire Center today! At Porsche of Norwell we're here to provide you with the quality service you should expect from a tire dealer!
We serve drivers from Norwell, Boston, Scituate, Hanover, Quincy & Hingham, MA and the North Shore area.